Willem Van Cotthem
Field of research: desertification/botany/soil conditioning
Willem, Romanus, Jozef VAN COTTHEM
Honorary Professor University of Ghent (Belgium) / Honorary Professor of the Antwerp University
Scientific Consultant for Desertification and Sustainable Development/
Born July 1st, 1934 in Denderleeuw (Belgium).
Widower of Celina VAN SNICK (Belgian nationality): 3 sons: Paul (1960), Jan (1962), Luc (1965).
Married to Elfrida VAN PARIJS (Belgian nationality).
Address: Beeweg 36 - B 9080 ZAFFELARE (Belgium)
Tel.: +32 / 9 / 356.86.16
Fax : +32 / 9 / 356.86.16
• University of Ghent - Masters Degree (MSc) in Botany - 1958
• University of Ghent - Masters Degree in Didactics of Biology - 1958
• University of Ghent - Ph.D. in Botany - 1969.
1964-1983: Morphology and anatomy of different plant groups (in particular study of stomata and spores of ferns).
1983- ….: Start of research on the soil conditioner TerraCottem (TC).
1964 - 1994: Scientific career at the University of Ghent (Botany Dept.) and at the Antwerp University:
- 1964 - 1968: Assistant (University of Ghent).
- 1968 - 1971: Senior Assistant and lecturer (University of Ghent).
- 1971 - 1982: Assistant professor (University of Ghent).
- 1976 - 1983: Professor in Didactics of Biology (University of Antwerp).
- 1982 - 1994: Professor in General Botany, Plant Morphology, Systematics and Ecology (University of Ghent).
- 1992 - 1994: Director of the Botanical Garden of the University of Ghent.
- 1994 - …. : Honorary Professor of the University of Ghent
- 1992 - 2006: Representative of the Belgian Scientific Experts on Desertification at UNCCD (CST)
1971-1979: Organization of biological expeditions of the Biology Department - University of Ghent:
- To Mt.Kenya 1971 : Plant Morphology (ferns), Plant Systematics (collections) and Plant Geography (plant distribution)
- To Kenya 1975 : Plant Systematics (collection) and Ecology (environmental patterns)
- To Venezuela 1978 : Plant Systematics (in particular orchids)
- To Ivory Coast 1979 : Plant Systematics and Ecology (especially regression of tropical species in the Equatorial forest).
1985 - Studies of plant growth in semi-arid and arid regions:
• Research and application of a soil conditioning method (TerraCottem) for plant growth in drought and desertification affected areas.
• Several years of research work on afforestation or reforestation projects and on small-scale agricultural or horticultural projects (food production and poverty alleviation).
• Inventor of the TerraCottem-method for soil conditioning.
• Application of this TerraCottem-method in humanitarian projects all over the world (community gardens for women and school gardens).
10 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
Why would we invest in research on production of climate-resilient food crops, if all over the world such food crops already exist? Distribution of seeds...
25 Feb, 2010 11:11 pm
Offering an opportunity to grow food crops in millions of family gardens and to grow fruit trees wherever we can plant them, is a straight way to taking...
25 Feb, 2010 12:22 pm
In every developing country people are suffering from the high food prices. More than billion people are hungry every day. The creation of small-scale...
7 May, 2007 12:26 pm
I agree fully with David DICKSON, Director of SciDev.Net, author of the article on Technology Transfer, that developing countries must adopt effective...